Friday, April 19, 2013

THE CONNECT

                                                               
                                 
This episode dates back to the days of my eleventh grade.I was busy being the atypical teenager-young, rebellious and never ready to take a no for my demands.My folks indeed,were having a difficult time handling me.
This particular time, I had been invited for a sleepover at a friend's place but my mom wanted me to stay at home instead, and accompany my grandma as my parents had to go out of station for some work. I was very annoyed and I kept on arguing with my mom to let me flee, but it was all vain. My futile efforts to convince my parents were laid to rest when they left and I had no other choice, but to stick around my grandmother. I was furious and I kept to my room the entire night. I didn't even answer my parents' calls nor accompany my grandma for dinner.
Next morning I woke up to Maroon 5's "She will be loved" playing in the living room. I stepped out of my room and found my grandma near the CD player trying to figure out the remote control buttons.My grandma came to me and planted a kiss on my forehead.



 The song went...

" Beauty queen of only eighteen
She had some trouble with herself
He was always there to help her
She always belonged to someone else
I drove for miles and miles 
And wound up at your door
I've had you so many times
But somehow I want more 
I don't mind spendin' everyday 
Out on your corner in the pourin' rain
Look for the girl with the broken smile
Ask her if she wants to stay awhile
She will be loved...

.......and so on
My heart warmed up and tears welled up in my eyes. I was stunned and embarassed at the same time considering my previous night's temper. My grandma is not versed with english at all and prefers to stay distant from gadgets; but she knew about this new album -(Songs about Jane),I had purchased and used to play out loud the entire day. She had identified the CD by its cover and played it to lighten me up, after having struggled with the remote for I don't know how long. Though she did not understand the lyrics of the song, she had laid the "connect" between us and cured me of my foul temper.
Maroon 5 still remains one of my favourite pop bands Their last  single "one more night" gave me quite a hangover. Nevertheless I have a bias for "she will be loved" and it never loses its spot on my playlist. It helps me reminisce "the connect", whenever I miss my grandma.

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIyK1mB0pew

No comments: